Thursday, April 29, 2004

Here's what I found out:

First off, I got an email from the University Provost that I assume everybody got. I think it was on Monday, probably because they wanted to make sure the strike was going to happen before they alerted the students.

Second, I went on the UW web site and they had a link called "The TAA situation." I found it interesting that they called it a situation rather than a strike - always trying to put a positive spin on things.

Third, I went to the TAA site. They had a lot of info about why they were striking, and what they wanted to get out of it, but very little info about the strike itself. No info was given on what buildings they were picketing or anything. I figure this is because they didn't want people to know which buildings they were picketing. They probably assumed everyone who cared enough to picket would come to their meetings and get the secret information there.

I googled the strike and found, as everyone else did, a ton of article from all Madison papers. There were few reports outside of Wisconsin, but news did get out on the AP wire, because newspapers as far away as Hawaii picked it up. I talked to friends at UW-Stevens Point and UW-Oshkosh, and they hadn't heard about it. I have to admit, though, they aren't the most politically conscious people I know.

I think the TAA missed out big-time on how they could garner support by not creating some kind of online forum to fuel the fire. The site wasn't particularly engaging, and I bet a big blog would have done the trick. Anyway, that's all.

cheers,
josh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home