Monday, March 01, 2004

I agree that there is something lacking in online discourse. While I think you can have very valuable conversations, I agree with Charmaine on the importance of nonverbal cues. Without a Webcam, there is no way to see the intensity in a person's eyes when they are talking about something very important to them. Facial expression is so much more revealing most of the time than the actual words a person uses. (The different smiley icons that AIM offers are definitely lacking in some of the expressions that I make) Have you ever been able to tell that something is wrong when you are talking to someone online, but they say "I'm fine," and you can't get anything out of them. Seeing a person's face is so much more meaningful, especially when you can have a conversation with someone without saying anything at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home