Friday, September 15, 2006

Living on Thin Air

This author makes a lot of pretty strong claims throughout this section of his book, so I found it hard to keep up with what I agreed or disagreed with. However, I paused when I read his claim that by turning our backs on the global economy, we would also then leave behind the importance of what he calls the 'knowledge economy.' I am not sure that I agree with this statement, because I think that this drive to create new products for the market is not necessarily reliant on relations with other countries. He says that protectionism and nationalism should be replaced with global trade and investment, which is not a bad alternative, and definitely relates to our discussion of Utipia in a way, but I didn't like the negativity he associated with the american economy. Nationalism, in small amounts, is healthy for a nation to grow and to pride itself on its own successes (in the economy). However, if we are to find these perfect 'economic recipes' that he claims drive economic growth, perhaps it is essential to look to the global market for inspiration? I could be twisting the meaning of what he is getting at entirely, but I think it is interesting to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home